Saturday 21 July 2012

An Amazon Adventure (Part 8)

I think I'd better start by explaining up front that I'm probably going to have to reduce the frequency of my posts. Unfortunately, there are only twenty-four hours in each of my days (or so I'm told), and into those hours I also have to fit rather a lot of other things (writing my next book, trying to sell the last one, renovating an old house, being a husband/father, trying to find a job, and countless other things - and not necesarily in that order).

Blogger lets me see how many views my blogs are getting, so I have a pretty good idea how popular/lacking in popularity they are - I have two blogs here (this one plus The Trenchfoote Legacy) and an Author Blog on the excellent Goodreads website. There has been a constant trickle of views over the last month to my two Blogger sites, but it appears that I have a small number of interested individuals (and thank you if you're one of them) who return every so often to read my new posts. I'd love to keep posting every couple of days, but I just can't sustain that level, given the other priorities I have to manage as well. If you are one of the interested ones then I hope you will still continue to find posts here to entertain/inform you, even if they are less frequent than before.

Being new to blogging (and not having followed any myself before) I don't know whether it's normal not to receive any comments on your blog. It has to be said that I haven't particularly encouraged contributions from readers to this blog (although perhaps The Trenchfoote Legacy was specifically intended to encourage reader participation), and if no one has comments to make then that's fine, but without feedback I can't tell whether what I'm posting is of any real interest, or whether there are areas you might like me to cover as well or instead.

So if you do have any thoughts, suggestions, questions or contributions you'd like to make about my books, my approach to writing or other related stuff then I'd be happy to hear them.

In the meantime, a brief update on where The Testing of Archie Rathbone is currently:

A few days ago I received an update on myAlex Hunter (Meet the Authors) thread on Goodreads, thanking me for my book (the writer having taken a chance on it as it was available free during a two day promotion). This person explained that the book wasn't one they'd normally have chosen to read but had really enjoyed it (against expectations). They went on to write a similarly complimentary review on both the Goodreads and Amazon sites.

This wasn't The Testing of Archie Rathbone's first review, and nor was it the highest rating it has received, but it was the first that I could categorically say had been unbiassed and objective. It's not that the other reviews aren't objective - I'm sure they are - but even I can't play down a review from someone who's never met me, seen me, or didn't even know who I was before downloading my book.

The Testing of Archie Rathbone it currently languishing on Amazon.co.uk at around the #50,000 rating mark (last night inexplicably it went from around #160,000 up to #27,000, but this morning back down to #47,000), and consequently it's showing up reasonably well on UK searches. The US (Amazon.com) rating is nowhere near as good, but it has yet to 'sell' a copy there, to date only having been downloaded when free.

So, at least one independent review suggests that it's not complete rubbish (oh, alright then - that it's a good book), it's currently priced at £1.99 on Amazon.co.uk (not dirt cheap, but hopefully affordable), and it should nw be showing up on searches, so...

We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment