Sunday 15 July 2012

An Amazon Adventure (Part 7)

July Promotion Update


I thought I'd update you on how The Testing of Archie Rathbone is doing. A two day free promotion on Amazon has just come to an end, and resulted in about fifty downloads. I don't have much information to go on, but from what little I do have that's a pretty poor showing (but maybe all the promotions I don't hear about remain a secret precisely because they don't achieve good results).

Several things have changed recently though:

For a start (and perhaps most importantly) the book now has three reviews on Amazon and as these are positive, perhaps in time they will encourage potential readers to take a chance. (If you haven't already had a look, and there's even a remote possibility that you might be interested in downloading my book, then please read them.)

Secondly, I've tried a few experimental changes in Amazon tag words for the book in the hope that these changes will make it a little easier to find.

Thirdly, there's been a change in the way TTOAR is showing 'customers who bought this item also bought...' - after I ran the previous free promotion (in June) there were only half a dozen books linked with it, and they were almost exclusively free too. This suggested to me that my book had only been picked up because it was priced at £0.00 (or $0.00 if you're the other side of the Pond - apologies to those of you in Russia, Germany and elsewhere). This promotion has resulted in a list of 34 linked books that are predominantly not free, suggesting that whoever downloaded TTOAR found it as a result of searching for something they wanted to read, rather than something that was just free. The other thing I notice from the list of linked books is that at least some of them are of a similar genre, so perhaps my changed tags words are working better.

To those of you who are of a cynical persuasion this may all seem a little like rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic - The Testing of Archie Rathbone doesn't show much sign of becoming even a better seller, let alone a best seller! Perhaps you're right.

Either way, if you were one of the generous souls who has downloaded The Testing of Archie Rathbone (there are now over a hundred of you out there somewhere), then I hope you enjoy it, and if you do and would be kind enough to add a review and rating on Amazon then I'd be very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment