Saturday 28 September 2013

A Dribble of Drabbles...

Almost exactly a year ago I joined the excellent Kindle Users Forum. This coincided with the start of a thread inviting contributions of stories of exactly one hundred words (a one hundred word story is, apparently, a Drabble!). It's an interesting idea and has resulted in some really creative and widely varying interpretations, but I thought I might reproduce the two I've contributed to date:

"Darkness" (9th September 2012)

Darkness.
No room to move.
A sharp rattling sound and we all jump, startled.
A dry, grating, sliding - we are all exposed, naked, the pale glow slowly pouring in.
Pick me! Pick me!
Searching fingers grasp in the half light and find me. Yes!
I am dragged from my prison - no more than a box. It closes behind me.
Strong fingers grip me and I feel the pressure as my head is pushed against the wall. I am dragged - it rasps loudly, and then such exhilaration - a splutter, and with a phosphorous burst I cast aside the shadows... but I am consumed.
Darkness.


"Three Seconds"  (27th September 2013)

I'm sure this is the way. Yes, must be - no doubt about it.
Oh, look at that castle! I'll remember that if I come this way again.
What's he doing here, dressed in a suit and helmet? Perhaps if I don't make eye contact I can pretend I haven't seen him... Phew!
Now where do I go? Yes, this must be it - past the greenery and shells and the treasure chest.
Now where?
I'm sure this is the way. Yes, must be - no doubt about it.
Oh, look at that castle! I'll remember that if I come this way again.




No comments:

Post a Comment