Tuesday 9 October 2012

100 Word Story

I sometimes post on the Kindle Users' Forum, and this morning added a small contribution to a thread for stories of exactly one hundred words length. Apparently, the correct name for a story of this length is a 'drabble' - I've learned something today!

Anyway, here is my first attempt (the inspiration for whic, ironically, came to me in the shower. If I have to explain to you what it's about, then I have obviously failed!


Darkness
Darkness. No room to move.
A sharp rattling sound and we all jump, startled.
A dry, grating, sliding – we are exposed, naked, the pale glow slowly pouring in.
Pick me! Pick me! Searching fingers grasp in the half-light and find me. Yes!
I am dragged from my prison – no more than a box. It closes behind me.

Strong fingers grip me and I feel the pressure as my head is pushed against the wall. I am dragged – it rasps loudly, and then such exhilaration – a splutter, and with a phosphorous burst I cast aside the shadows... but I am consumed.
Darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment